Mat Pilates classes currently running at THE ROSENDALE in West Dulwich.
Saturday morning classes at Emmanuel Youth and Community Centre, Clive Road.
Thursday 9.30-10.25am - Beginners
Thursday 10.30-11.25am - All levels
Emmanuel Youth and Community Centre
Saturday 8.30-9.20am - HIIT and STRETCH (Emmanuel)
Saturday 9.30-10.25am - All Levels Pilates (Emmanuel)
Monday- Friday 1:1 sessions by appointment
*Last classes before the Christmas break are on Thurs 12th Dec 2019*
Kate will then be relocating with her family to Monmouth and setting up classes there in due course.
Please continue to check the website for more details.
Weekend Pilates retreats in Monmouthshire and the Brecon Beacons will be established in 2020 - details to follow.
Kate Thomas is a professionally trained dancer, actor and Pilates Instructor. She studied with the APPI in London and is a fully certified and insured instructor. The APPI method was developed by physiotherapists and is a safe and effective way to strengthen, lengthen and tone the muscles, mobilise the joints and correct the posture. It requires concentration and precision, using the breath, and is therefore not only good for the body but the mind too.
Kate is fully qualified to teach all levels mat classes, ante natal, post natal and HIIT Pilates and regularly attends CPD courses with APPI (most recently learning about osteoporosis and how to modify Pilates for this population).
Before having a family, Kate worked as a professional actor for the RSC and National Theatre as well as in TV, radio and Film. Teaching Pilates combines all of her professional experience and her background in acting makes her a confident and natural communicator.
There are a variety of classes to choose from and you can select from the tabs above to find out more or use the contact form at the bottom of this page to get in touch.
The 8 Basic Principles of Pilates
- Concentration - A common misconception by those with no Pilates experience is that the movements are low level, easy and slow. Hello? Um no way! Pilates requires absolute focus and commitment and concentration. It is hard work at any level.
- Breathing - Learning to breathe properly is one of the hardest principles to master. Get it right and it will calm the mind and body , give you better focus and flow of movement, ease muscle tension and even help to mobilise the joints.
- Centring - Pilates always starts by bringing the focus to the centre or core of your body - what Joseph Pilates termed your 'powerhouse' - and learning to engage these deep stabilising muscles.
- Control - Every exercise is executed with accuracy and complete muscular control. No body part is left to its own devices! Learn control and you are on your way to mastering the art of efficient movement in every day life.
- Precision - Precision is about performing these exercises correctly. Mindful focus during each movement, along with routine practice, will lead to precision.
- Flow - If you observe people who are experienced at Pilates, you will notice their effortless and continuous flow of movement - everything appears seamless with no sense of start or finish.
- Integrated Isolation - Once the art of centring is accomplished, APPI Pilates teaches you how to maintain your core abdomino-pelvic support whilst performing isolated movements of the body, leading to the ability to maintain the same support in everyday functional positions (sitting, standing, typing, pushing a pram etc)
- Routine - Consistency is the key to success in anything we do and Pilates is no different. Those who manage to practice regularly will reap the rewards and Pilates will become part of everyday life.
- "Back To Life" by APPI
- Return to life through Contrology by Joseph Pilates
Shoulder Bridge Level 4
Strengthens the pelvis and hip muscles, mobilises the spine, activates and tones
the bottom and inner thighs.
Mobilises the thoracic spine and retrains correct sitting posture. Lengthen the spine
from the tailbone to the crown of the head.
Hundreds Level 5
Improves endurance of all the abdominal muscles and challenges lumbo-pelvic control.
Kate is such a great teacher, and it's a welcoming and supportive class. She works us hard but watches us carefully to make sure she's not pushing us beyond our capabilities.
I never get bored in her classes (which is a first for me!) and I've seen a real difference in my overall strength and posture. The headaches I used to get triggered by neck pain have completely gone. It's a flipping miracle!
I absolutely love, and highly recommend, both Kate’s pilates and HIIT classes. Kate is a wonderful, attentive teacher and is incredibly knowledgeable. Looking forward to my next session!
I have been having classes with Kate regularly and am totally hooked. She explains everything so well and is a really wonderful teacher. Pilates is now just a part of my week.
I hate to miss a class!
I absolutely love Kate's Pilates classes! She is great at giving options to find the best level for you and has an amazing depth of understanding of the body and Pilates. She is also super lovely and her classes have a nice atmosphere. Can't recommend enough!!
Kate is absolutely brilliant! I had a few 1:1 sessions with her trying to rebuild my confidence before joining her classes.
Venture de Saboulin
I highly recommend Katy’s postnatal Pilates classes - I have been attending for a few months and she has been brilliant at helping me get back some fitness and flexibility, all done with a lovely warm manner.
Kate’s post-natal Pilates classes have helped me get my confidence back and improve my strength. She has a great style to support a range of different abilities and even manages to calm any upset babies! Great classes, thank you :)
I love Kate's weekly mum and baby classes. She has a very attentive approach and I've benefitted enormously from the exercises. It's also great to be able to relax with your baby in tow.